I can't help but feel that things are improving, and a better world is on its way. Not just because coffee shops are close at hand, but because I can sense a critical mass of hope coalescing in a foam of discontent.
Last night I read about the injustice of the wealthiest of the wealthy stashing trillions of dollars in offshore private banks in order to avoid paying hundreds of billions of dollars in taxes. With this level of blatant greed and excess, the end of the status-quo has never seemed so real, or so close at hand.
Awareness is building, and many individuals are devoting energy toward making meaningful and satisfying personal changes. Such changes, collectively, are adding up to a cultural shift that is leaning toward justice and fair treatment of the human family, and the earth.
One era or paradigm ending means another begins. Our actions to restore balance are bringing about the end of the old ways. There has never been a better opportunity for change - we can see that a better world is needed, and is possible. But what will it look like?
In order to take advantage of this unprecedented opportunity to create a new world, we have to be prepared with a vision of what we want to replace outdated institutions and practices. We need to think big, and imagine exactly what our ideal world would look like.
My ideal world would:
- have a 20 hour work week... or less.
- make war and weapons obsolete.
- have no use for advertising.
- ensure all of humanity has all basic needs met.
- replace competition with cooperation, and hate with love.
- have a 10,000 year plan.
- have garages so empty you could put an electric car in them, and still have room for a bicycle.
- cherish children's well-being, so would make sure there were no impediments to full time parenting.
- not have poverty or starvation.
- value happiness and well-being over material things.
- acknowledge that everyone has equal rights.
- have no use for insane hoarding of wealth because sharing would be the norm.
- be slower, more casual, and with a lot more laughing, creating, and relaxing together.
- be simple and sustainable.
What does your better world look like?