|Urban hot springs|
Hot water heating is one of the biggest uses of energy in the home. 15-20% of the average North American homeowner energy bill goes toward hot water heating. Energy conservation saves you money and reduces stress on the environment.
Becoming mindful of hot water use is an excellent way to lower energy use and costs.
- Shut off the water while soaping hands at the sink.
- Use a low-flow shower head that you can easily switch on and off.
- Use cold water to wash clothes when possible.
- Take short showers, or fewer showers.
- Dishwashers use 12 litres of super-heated water, washing by hand takes 4 litres.
- Repair leaky faucets, it's often a simple gasket replacement.
- When adjusting water temperature turn the cold down, not the hot up.
- Consider installing a heat pump, solar hot water system, or on-demand unit.
- Wrap hot water pipes with insulation sleeves.