|A re-used wood pallet project that might be nice to have for the garden.|
While my new garden is a bit late, my enthusiasm is high for pioneering our residential soil situation. The soil in my area is a light brown sandy loam with a fair amount of stones. While it has some nice qualities, such as good drainage, it needs to be amended. But what doesn't need to be changed for the better these days?
Getting soil to where you want it takes time, so patience is a nice quality for the gardener (or activist) to possess.
Developing patience is one of the reasons I garden. There are many, many others.
Here are a few:
Top 10 Reasons I Garden
- A garden can't be rushed, and therefore teaches patience.
- Vegetables aren't getting any cheaper these days (up 12% over the past year in Canada)
- Spending time in the garden means time away from electronic entertainments.
- There is no substitute for connecting with nature, and experiencing the green fuse first hand.
- My 8 x 16 raised bed will be much more diverse than the grass it replaces.
- It is good exercise.
- Gardening is a good excuse to get outside, like walking a dog. Except that you can't eat your dog.
- Being out and visible in your garden connects you to your neighbourhood.
- I like to freely share the garden's fresh food abundance with others.
- Veggies from the garden are much more nutritious (and tasty) than the wilted stuff shipped from thousands of kilometres away.
I could probably think of ten more reasons to garden quite easily. But I will stop there. Those seeds won't plant themselves. Happy gardening.