|In 2011, 768 million people did not have an improved source of drinking-water,|
and 2.5 billion people did not have access to improved sanitation.
World Water Day - How You Can Help
- Capture rainfall in a cistern or rain barrel and use it to water your garden.
- You can save water by conserving electricity, which accounts for 55% of all water use.
- Install a low-flow toilet and plumbing fixtures.
- Lessen stress on your local water system by minimizing use during peak daytime hours.
- Dispose of prescription medicine and other toxic materials through local collection programs, not down the drain.
- If you have to water lawn, do it early in the morning or after the sun has set to reduce water lost to evaporation.
- Landscape with local drought-tolerant species.
- Eat less meat.
- Donate to NGOs working to improve access to clean water and sanitation.
- Shower with a friend.