March 18, 2013

Musical Monday

It may look like a coffin, but a console stereo was my first introduction
 to the joys of recorded music
Another thing I would die without? Music. For me, and I suspect a lot of other people, living without music would be like living without breathing. The two are associated - singing is all about the breathe. Playing a flute, an instrument that has been around for 30,000 years, is also about breathe.

I remember segments of my life according to the music I was listening to at the time. 

When I was 10 my mom listened to a small stack of vinyl albums that were lovingly stored in our console stereo, a huge piece of furniture that has thankfully been miniaturized out of existence. She would carefully lower the needle on to her favourite records, then dance up a storm and sing along.

My siblings and I would join her.

Although the coffin stereo is long gone, I do remember some of the albums, including Rubber Soul by the Beatles, and Strange Days by the Doors. I like them to this day.


Art by julie090995.deviantart.com

In more recent times, my musical enjoyment has been enhanced by learning to play an instrument. During the time I was listening to mom's albums, I also started guitar lessons. But I quit, and the musician in me had to endure a 30 year period of unsatisfied musical urges.

Then, 10 years ago when Linda and I made the transition to our current simple lifestyle, picking up the guitar was one of the first things we did. Now spontaneous jam sessions break out in a moments notice spreading harmonious vibrations far and wide.

Like nature, I think that exposure to music is crucial for maximum life enjoyment and optimal health. 

I may not die without music, but I shudder to think of a life bereft of the joys it brings.



2 comments:

  1. namakemonoMarch 18, 2013

    For me it is books and reading - something my ex never understood. I will take the train rather than drive to have reading time. My kindle is stuffed and so is my bookshelf. Both my parents were readers, but I am suprised that my kids aren`t!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also love reading. I am currently reading about writing in a book that combines two of my favourite things.

      Delete

Discussion and debate is welcome on NBA. I believe that this can be done via courteous, concise comments relevant to the topic of the post, whether or not they agree with the views expressed.

Comments containing profanity, abusive language, or baiting will be deleted.

Comments with a user name attached above, or in a sign off in the text, are appreciated. It lets us meet on common ground, and get to know each other better.

I answer comments depending on what is happening in my life, and how much gardening, cooking, hiking, and music making needs to be done.

Click the "notify me" box to be updated on the thread by email.

Note: Comments are moderated to eliminate links to commercial interests. We are proudly a no selling, no buying website.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...