"Just be yourself", is a common piece of advice when someone is about to face a challenge.
Too often we conform to the roles of society or our social group and fail to express ourselves as a unique person independent of groupthink. Expressing individuality is essential to personal growth and is a great way to share our unique talents with the world.
But individuality can not be bought - it has to be developed over time in our own way.
We can learn to express our individuality and reclaim our birthright to who we are supposed to be.
Non-Consumerist Ways To Express Individuality
- Start by realizing you have intrinsic value as a human being, regardless of what you do, how much money you make, or what you own (or don't own).
- Take an inventory of your own special quirks, talents, strengths, as well as shortcomings. These all make you the individual you are.
- Find a personal style YOU are comfortable with. Wear colours and clothes that you feel natural and comfortable wearing.
- Try expressing yourself more, whether in conversation, or in other creative ways such as singing, dancing, playing an instrument, writing poetry, or any other artistic expression that you enjoy.
- Speak up! Let people know how you think and feel about things.
- Foster relationships that are supportive of who you are.
- Honour your priorities regardless of where they take you.
Be Yourself - you are the only one of you in the world, and you have your own special contributions to make.