I came up with the following list that may identify the modern ascetics among us. Check it out - you may be one.
You could be a modern day ascetic if:
- you don't own a cell phone
- you don't have cable TV (if you don't own a TV or any form of phone you may be hardcore, the equivalent of wearing a cilice - see photo at right)
- you only have one car
- you don't own a stainless steel BBQ (recently a family member looked at me with a puzzled expression, and total disbelief, when she asked, "You don't have a BBQ?")
- you use your feet to get around
- you don't wear the latest fashions
- you haven't been to a movie for years
- you eschew annual trips to Mexico
- you aren't constantly starved for sex
- you deny yourself restaurant and fast food
- you live in less than 3000 square feet
- you are not buying anything that you don't need to live your simple, joyful life
So what do you think? Are you a modern day ascetic, or do you know of any? Hair shirt, anyone?